3 Seasons Lodge June 14-21 2024

Started by ziggy6, June 22, 2024, 06:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy6

So we got home last night from our 8th trip to the Kipawa area. So sitting here having my morning coffee and still feeling like I'm sitting on a boat I decided to create our report while things were fresh in my memory.
So after planning and discussing and meeting a few times 10 of us,  including men from Tennessee, NJ , Hudson valley NY and the Capital District of NY, headed out on June 14 to Temiscaming . We made our traditional stop for bagels in Utica and gassed up before crossing over in Ogedensburg NY . The border crossing was quick and easy . We stayed at Motel Au Bercail for the first time since Tem Rose had no available rooms. The rooms and parking for 2 boats ,that we had with us, was fine the only issue was ferrying all the participants down to Tem Rose for food and drinks.
 We hit the IGA on Friday and picked up beer and leeches on Saturday morning before meeting Reggie and John at the dock at 9. After a quick transfer of goods and boat launches we were off. John was gracious enough to allow us to use an additional cabin , one that he and his boys have just renovated, to allow us some more space. The new cabin is very nice!
So after eating our lunch, which we traditionally make our big meal of the day we headed out.  Fishing was good for the most part ... the bass were a constant point of entertainment when we could not find walleye. We had several bass in the 20 inch and above range. The walleye were good size and we caught enough for a fish fry and for everyone to take what they wanted home with them. We were lucky enough to catch walleye 31,30,29,28 and 27 inches long. We were told by several people that we where being very unorthodox by running south more than north at this time of year but we were able to find quality fish along with quantity so why mess with a good thing. We did try hitting some northern spots but only had limited success but we're sure thats due to our lack of experience in that area.  We found the fish mostly in the 14-17 foot range except one windy day we found them in 5- 9 foot of water. We used leeches for the most part but we had some success with the Hot N tot in blue... we trolled a wee bit but not too often , mostly drifting and on spot lock ( or anchor at times)
A nice treat was on the last full day John asked me if I would be willing to take a rental out with a brand new 20 hp Yamaha 4 stroke. Of course I jumped at the chance. What a great machine! it increased the speed by 50% over the 15hp engine we had prior. It also has a trolling setting that allows you to adjust the speed which was a real nice bonus. John is thinking of getting these new machines for the entire rental fleet, that will be a real game changer!
We did experience some hot weather but luckily most of us had window fans to help make sleeping bearable. The bugs situation was a major concern for us since our trip was a week earlier this year. Much to our relief the black flies were pretty much non existent  and the mosquito amounts were "normal" . We were able to swim and spent time outside during the day without being swarmed...evenings not so much though.
Our return home was a quick one with 10 men along with Reggie we got out quick and easy. The border crossing at Alexandria bay, better duty free so we cross there on way back, was easy as well.
So now we decompress and allow our livers to return to normal and then we will talk and start planning for next year.
John and Mary do a great job of running the lodge! It starts with a warm welcome ( delicious cookies on the table) to being very accommodating.

Jay Thomas

RickOnt

Great report and very good size on the Walleye! ;D  ;D

Do you go in from Kipawa or Laniel?
"Making Memories"

ziggy6

BigChief

@ziggy6 back in the bays or out off of points?

T-Bone

Those are some biggie walleyes Ziggy...nice work. Thanks for the report!
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

TeamEsox

That had to be awesome catching that many big walleye in a week.  Great report!

ziggy6

Quote from: BigChief on June 23, 2024, 04:05:06 PM@ziggy6 back in the bays or out off of points?
We fished the points predominately. we found most of the fish on north points with the wind blowing in.. The one day we got into the fish in shallow water was a windy day blowing into the bay.   

BigChief

Hodgey1

Nice report Zig, sounds like another great trip in the bag.
Walleye Rock!