Lake Watson 2024

Started by NortonJoe, August 13, 2024, 10:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonJoe

Now that things are caught up back at work and on the home front...

Seven hopeful fisherman took off from Akron, Ohio for the annual trip to Lake Watson on a beautiful summer morning-cool temperatures and a clear sky is the perfect travelling weather.  We left on July 19 around 7:00 a.m. in two trucks filled with supplies and gear and hope.  After a quick stop for gas at the Angola rest area we headed for the Duty Free Store.  A few purchases later and we were heading for the line at the border.  The wait actually wasn't bad (about 15 minutes) and we were soon over the Peace Bridge and into Canada.  The drive up was uneventful with the normal slow downs around Orillia, but traffic kept moving and we were soon in Huntsville at the Boston Pizza on the Muskoka River for our traditional late lunch/early dinner.  It really is a good way to ease into the vacation mode, good food, company and a few cold brews on the patio on the river.  We headed up to North Bay, checked into our lodging for the night and headed to Wacky Wings for a snack and a few more libations.

The next morning dawned clear and cool and we headed to the local WalMart for the final groceries, made our stop at Trader Joe's for night crawlers and headed towards the Quebec/Ontario border. After a quick stop at Stop 102 we took off for the Maniwaki Road...only we did so a little too fast and got to meet the local law enforcement officers (stay within the speed limit there guys). After collecting a ticket we headed back into the bush.

The roads back were in pretty good shape and we didn't run into any difficulties. There was one culvert on the road to Lake Watson that was a bit questionable but we made it over and through and back to the camp in about 2 1/2 hours.  Ah, the great feeling when you pull into camp and see the lake spread out before you, its like a homecoming of sorts.  Then everybody pitches in, unloads and gets ready to head out on the lake.

First the weather-generally, it was a beautiful week.  Temps in the low 70's during the day and upper 50's at night with variable clouds.  We had one day, Wednesday, where it rained all day. And I don't just mean rain, I have never been in rain that hard in my life.  It came down in buckets; most of us stayed in.  As a matter of fact, it rained so hard that it washed the road out and, when we left, we had to leave through Belleterre.

The fishing was fantastic! The walleye were biting like crazy on jigs, slip bobbers, hot n' tots...you name it.  We caught enough for three meals there and everyone brought their limit home.  Many fish caught over the slot with the biggest being around 25".  Most days we caught more than enough fish to keep us occupied, along with the Northern Pike in between.  All in all it was one of the best fishing weeks we have had.  Most fish were caught in 15' to 20' of water just off the bottom or trolling along the drop off. Also got to try my slip-bobbering for the first time and really liked it.

Of course, the week always flies too fast and we were soon packed back up and on our way back home.  I always look forward to the annual trip.  The fishing, the friendships and the relaxation.  So here's to that long wait until July 18, 2025...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

RHYBAK

Thanks for the report.
Good to hear that everything went smooth.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your informative report. Happy to read that the fish were biting.

Jay

Jig and drift

Joe glad to hear that you had a successful trip. Question though. You said the road washed out and had to go home through Belleterre.  Is that the road up to Watson from the Bearn or the Bearn itself? I have read the sign to Watson back in there on the way to Dumoine past the big bridge over the river, which I believe is the Kipawa river. A change of route back in there can't be good. The Bearn is bad enough!

T-Bone

Nice report NJ...glad you had a great trip and success with the catching. Thanks for sharing your experiences...sounds like quite an adventure getting in to/out of camp!

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

puckster_guy

The Bearn rd is washed out at KM 50 I think. North of the Maclauglin lakes. It could be closed for a while. A beaver dam gave out.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

NortonJoe

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jig and drift

That's not good.   Is that farther east of the bridge or west?

Jig and drift

Too be honest we see the KM markers but don't pay much attention to them.  Probably should in case of emergency.   

Thanks guys

TrollingTom

I assume this would cause trouble going to Grassy?

Jig and drift

TrollingTom

Dang, any idea on how severe? Heading in next week sometime so trying to plan. The belleterre shouldn't be too off track though

Jig and drift

Contact Grassy and see what they say.

michelle

I believe the washout is at mileage 90 on Bearn road

Teach

Great Report NortonJoe!!!!  Hope you left some for us this fall!  Zec Kipawa has a post about the washout.  The map shows it at the 90 km marker on what I call (and most here call) the Bearn Road.  (Southeast of the bridge into Hunters Point and Northwest of the Bearn Road and Red Pine Road intersection.)  Zec called it the Penetration Road on the post.  I was told the Penetration Road went east and west North of Lake Kipawa over to Trout Lake Road.