CVL Aug 25 to 30

Started by Kill Switch, September 03, 2024, 02:50:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

Hi All
Got back from Cedar Valley Lodge on Friday. Strange week to say the least.
Sunday, Monday and half of Tuesday were unbearably hot. The water temp was in the 70s. Fishing was quiet. We got a few hammer handles and a baby walleye. Even the bass were turned off.
Tried all depths, flats, islands, shade etc etc. It was discouraging.
Wednesday started tough as well but at least the temp cooled off. The water surface temp fell to 68 degrees.
The morning and early afternoon saw the bass become active. Pike and walleye were quiet.
Normally I fish the flats this time of year, that said they were quiet that morning. I decided to head on over to Moose, even though I normally don't fish that area in late August. I just like being in that area.
I targeted 25-30 ftw. Well it was a good call. Here's the story.....
We were jigging and drifting really slow. it was about 2:30pm. Next thing you know the rod is bent over, violently. Same with my buddies. We yelled double header!!! We both start fighting a fish. I finally see mine and said it was a monster pike. My buddy Jeff said the exact same words about his. We kept reeling in and suddenly realized we were both on the same fish.  I have never seen such a large fish jump out of the water. That is when we realized both lines converged on one fish. We both only had fluoro, so we had to be careful. We got multiple tail slaps at the boat that soaked us. We babied that fish for close to 20 minutes and was finally able to land her. She was stunning. 44 inches, 23 pounds. The best part is that we both caught the fish. I don't know how, but both 1/4oz jig heads were in the mouth. No tangles or false hook. Both jigs taken. So we agreed that we both got half a fish. Jeff got it in the boat, and I had the task of reviving that beauty for close to 10 minutes and then she safely swam away. What a thrill.
At 4pm we went back to the various flats and started to hook into some walleye. Maybe 4 of which one was a keeper. When I filleted the walleye I noticed the stomach was empty. They must have been turned off by the water temp??? Honestly, I am not sure.
Thursday was our last day. Walleye finally turned on and boats were getting them on the flats at about 22 feet. We had a good evening fish and fish tacos. Daytime saw some pike and bass. 
So definitely a tough week of fishing, especially the first half.
It was also an emotional week for me. First not having my son with me was tough. He has been my fishing buddy since he was 8, now he is 22 and could not make the trip. I missed him a lot. Also, last year saw the passing of Neno (owner) of the camp. He was larger than life. F'n cancer. Only 59.
Mitch, Neno's son, has taken over with the support of his mother, Mirjana. Beautiful people. I enjoyed watching Mitch's 20 month old son running around the camp and soaking it all in. I miss those days.
Everything ran great, cabin was perfect. Booked for next year.

I get the fishing is a bit tougher. I really think the bass don't help. That said, catching is a byproduct of this trip....at least for me.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one that appreciates this beautiful place.
Cheers everyone and tight lines.

Jay Thomas

Thank you for your trip report. Nice gator you both caught.

Jay

Jig and drift

That's a beauty.   Thanks for sharing