Lake Kipawa Concerted Management Plan

Started by Jay Thomas, October 18, 2015, 12:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Thomas

Back in April 2013, D. Morin alerted many of us to a study of the development of the Lake Kipawa area.

I did a Google search this morning looking for followup. I have perused the first progress report published in July 2013 as well as a second report published in March 2014 (Organisme de bassin versant du Témiscamingue (OBVT), 2014. Lake Kipawa Concerted Management Plan. 189 pages). Is anyone aware of more recent reports? If so, I'd appreciate web references please.

I'm particularly interested in learning what Quebec Authorities have done or are planning to do to mitigate low adult lake trout numbers.

For walleye, the above referenced publication reported that, in recent inventories, a majority of walleye were small size and that harvesting was responsible for a 50% mortality rate, which was clearly higher than the allowable maximum under these latitudes (38%). Are there any plans to introduce walleye harvest length limits to protect the breeding stock. Such harvest length limits exist in the surrounding ZECs. Thanks in advance.

Jay

wayne

Hi Jay
I spoke with some biologists 2 weeks ago in Kipawa. They were doing an egg sampling of Lake trout in Kipawa lake. Our Lake trout fishery is in trouble and the government is aware of it and working on it. They did some stocking this spring but it will take a few years to see those results. As far as walleye there will be a slot size imposed for 2016. Unofficially the length will be 35cm-53cm or there abouts. Again this is not law yet but is in the works. The new regs will be available April 1st 2016. We will see  what they have decided then. These are positive changes and will be beneficial to the lake and its users for years to come.

wayne

They also told me that in Kipawa Lake it takes 16 years for a Lake trout to reach maturity and will lay about 1500 eggs. Walleye reach maturity in about 5 years and for every pound of walleye will lay 50,000 eggs.  So a 6-7 pound fish will about 300,000- 350,000 eggs. Some interesting info that I wasn't aware of.

RHYBAK

For our non-metric friends to the south that would mean 13.75 inches to 20.875 inches
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jay Thomas

Quote from: RHYBAK on October 19, 2015, 07:57:53 AM
For our non-metric friends to the south that would mean 13.75 inches to 21.875 inches

Good morning John,

According to http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm, 53 cms equates to 20.866 inches. If the Quebec authorities actually implement a maximum harvest length of 53 cms for 2016, an almost 21 inch walleye is still a nice walleye.

Jay

Jay Thomas

Quote from: wayne on October 18, 2015, 09:29:35 PM
Hi Jay
I spoke with some biologists 2 weeks ago in Kipawa. They were doing an egg sampling of Lake trout in Kipawa lake. Our Lake trout fishery is in trouble and the government is aware of it and working on it. They did some stocking this spring but it will take a few years to see those results. As far as walleye there will be a slot size imposed for 2016. Unofficially the length will be 35cm-53cm or there abouts. Again this is not law yet but is in the works. The new regs will be available April 1st 2016. We will see  what they have decided then. These are positive changes and will be beneficial to the lake and its users for years to come. They also told me that in Kipawa Lake it takes 16 years for a Lake trout to reach maturity and will lay about 1500 eggs. Walleye reach maturity in about 5 years and for every pound of walleye will lay 50,000 eggs.  So a 6-7 pound fish will about 300,000- 350,000 eggs. Some interesting info that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks very much Wayne for sharing that information. I fished a lake in ZEC Kipawa in mid Sep and the 35 - 53 cm harvest length limits on walleye were in place there.

Jay

RHYBAK

Quote from: Jay Thomas on October 19, 2015, 10:04:51 AM
Quote from: wayne on October 18, 2015, 09:29:35 PM
Hi Jay
I spoke with some biologists 2 weeks ago in Kipawa. They were doing an egg sampling of Lake trout in Kipawa lake. Our Lake trout fishery is in trouble and the government is aware of it and working on it. They did some stocking this spring but it will take a few years to see those results. As far as walleye there will be a slot size imposed for 2016. Unofficially the length will be 35cm-53cm or there abouts. Again this is not law yet but is in the works. The new regs will be available April 1st 2016. We will see  what they have decided then. These are positive changes and will be beneficial to the lake and its users for years to come. They also told me that in Kipawa Lake it takes 16 years for a Lake trout to reach maturity and will lay about 1500 eggs. Walleye reach maturity in about 5 years and for every pound of walleye will lay 50,000 eggs.  So a 6-7 pound fish will about 300,000- 350,000 eggs. Some interesting info that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks very much Wayne for sharing that information. I fished a lake in ZEC Kipawa in mid Sep and the 35 - 53 cm harvest length limits on walleye were in place there.

Jay

Sorry Jay
Your right.
I had the right number on my calculator but wrote it down wrong
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle