Quebec's Main Rules for Sport Fishing

Started by Jay Thomas, April 04, 2016, 01:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillageD

So the slot limit has arrived eh.... that's too bad... good for the health of the lake, but was nice to only have the "bigger than 12"" rule.... now 15"-20" only... ok... thanks all for the info... I found the majority of my catch last year were 14-15" .. maybe this new slot will allow more fish to grow into the 16-18" range....

Dog

For the most part, I agree with the slot (and rules in general)

I've learned to realize the powers that make these rules & regulations are only trying to create a self-sustaining ecosystem so the fishery can be enjoyed for future generations. And who among us can argue with that end goal, right?...

What I don't like about the slot or the rules is that they don't apply to everyone and no one really actively enforces them. (sure there are inspections of coolers and vehicles but at that point, it's too late, the fish is dead... where are the patrols on the lakes during prime fishing times?...I've never seen one on any lake in Canada).

I also don't like that they're consistent across all lakes in a specific region when not all lakes have the same ecosystem or the same fishing pressure on them but whatever, I get it... standardization is simpler to " regulate and enforce"....

At the end of the day they don't really affect me because I try to release as many fish as possible. For me it's about the challenge of the hunt, not the glory of the feast...

One more cast...

RHYBAK

I will likely be corrected on this one but somebody once told me that if by chance the lake really takes a turn to the good and the Yellow Walleye population really improves, this slot would be lifted.

WillageD
I don't see your reasoning that this will help you in seeing more 16-18 inch fish.
These will be the targeted keeper size now.
There will be less in that zone if everybody is keeping them.
What you should see in the future is more and more mature breeder fish in the 5 to 12 pound class.
darn, you might even see record breaking 15-16 pound fish.

Am I missing something with your remark?
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Dog, in the last 5 years I've had 2 encounters with the game cops at Kipawa. They were polite, very professional, and they check everything, sometimes even your cabin. One year my son left his license at the cabin. They could have fined him, but told us to go get it and find them so he could show it to them. A couple years ago they got some guy with bass out of season and illegal bait. Nasty fine for him, so they are out there. The boats they use look like any other fisherman's boat, so it's hard to see them coming. I'm glad they are there to make sure the rules are being followed. I think we'll see a lot more of them with these new regs. Oarin.

adempsey

I am a proponent of slot sizes like this.   I'd even like to see a lower possession limit.     It certainly can't hurt the fishery and will hopefully help.

Personally, I normally only keep Walleye between 14" to 17".   There's only been a few places where I struggled to get Walleye <18", but that never bothered me ;).     I like eating pike too, so I can almost always count on a few 30"+ Pike to eat if I have bad luck with the Walleye.   

As far as CO's go, it's such an odd thing.  I've been in the middle of nowhere and they've flown in to check us.   Never really understood that, it seems like an expensive use of limit $$ to check a handful of people.   

Are there actually Sauger in Kipawa??

Riverrat

Funny I see the wardens on the lake almost every time I come up.  I think they are really active on the lake.  I have seen quite a few people caught on the lake

WillageD

Quote from: RHYBAK on April 06, 2016, 03:38:35 PM
I will likely be corrected on this one but somebody once told me that if by chance the lake really takes a turn to the good and the Yellow Walleye population really improves, this slot would be lifted.

WillageD
I don't see your reasoning that this will help you in seeing more 16-18 inch fish.
These will be the targeted keeper size now.
There will be less in that zone if everybody is keeping them.
What you should see in the future is more and more mature breeder fish in the 5 to 12 pound class.
darn, you might even see record breaking 15-16 pound fish.

Am I missing something with your remark?

My rational on that is with the past regulations being "larger than 12"'s" anglers would harvest many 13 and 14" fish (which in my experience is that size bracket of the largest population of walleye in Kipawa).. so now with a slot in place with 15" being the minimum for a keeper, all of those 13 and 14" fish which would have previously been harvested, will hopefully be released and given another year of growth before they are caught and kept. Therefore 15,16 and 17" inch walleye now become the norm in the lake as opposed to the current 12-15" walleye I seem to see most regularly. I am no biologist- but that's just the way I hope it plays out! haha.... and your insight to a larger population of big fish in the lake would be fantastic!

JLG

This will be my wife and I's 15th year in a row to spend a week on Kipawa and of those years we seem to have been checked by the fisheries folks 7 or 8 times.  Never had any problems on the stops once we could understand each other. 

Sticking to the subject:  I often wonder why Quebec authorities makes the rules so ambiguous and wait until the 11th hour to post.  It seems this would be a problem for the outfitters since most people have to plan well in advance for this trip and anyone on the fence may just fall off if they were told "we think this will be the regulations but they can change anytime" and to try to research on the net to see any changes is frustrating to say the least. 

My 2 cents on the "changes" we are hearing may be imposed:  Not really any problems with the slot sizes since we mainly just like to catch vs keep but we also do enjoy a few eye meals.  Lake trout:  Only 1 per license now; Probably more disturbing to us since we really enjoy bringing a few home to smoke for the holiday gatherings and share with our friends trying to convince them they should take a Kipawa trip with us some year to enjoy the week and catch a few.  My wife and fish sun up to sun down everyday while at the lake and in recent years have come to really enjoy a peaceful and relaxing afternoon anchored just sitting with a frozen minnow waiting on the trout (we are getting older so this method really helps us recharge) but it appears we will no longer be able to use frozen minnows?  I am sure we will find another way to spend the afternoons maybe even anchor and see if the lakers will eat red meat but little things like this change as well as not really knowing what rule changes will occur are really making me second guess on if we will continue our annual trips or spend our time and money on new adventures.  Our grandkids are nearing the age that a week of fishing on Kipawa may make a good trip for them so I am sure we will one day share this adventure with them and I only hope the new regs if imposed will result in making a good fishery even better.

getthenet

Seems to me these new rules may partially be a way to make extra revenue for Quebec. A certain amount of people won't read the new rules,busted $$$. A certain amount ,not on purpose,won't clean the fish the new way,busted $$$. With the slot size your measurement may be a hair off,busted $$$ I look for a lot more stops both on the water and shore by the patrols !

NortonJoe

@RHYBAK is it just my computer or is that fish cleaning link not bringing up the video? Thanks.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jay Thomas

Finally, Quebec's sport fishing main rules are available in English on line - see http://www.mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/online/wildlife/fishing-regulations/fishing-periods.asp

For those interested in fishing Lake Kipawa for walleye or lake trout:

For walleye, possession limit remains at 6 while length limit changes to a slot limit of 37 to 53 cm (14.6 to 20.9 inches).

For lake trout, possession limit is 1 while the minimum length limit has changed to 65 cm (25.59 inches).

Jay

JLG

Looks like if you link thru to zone 13 west, water boy exceptions, Kipawa reservoir and scroll on down to the zone exception only 1 lake trout on Kipawa Lake? 

Jay Thomas

Thanks for the correction JLG. I noticed my error while doing some more reading this morning, When I came back to correct my post, you had already caught the error. Thanks again.

Jay

Mr3seasonscamp