Started by Hodgey1, December 21, 2016, 05:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHYBAK

Something is really wrong here.
That is twice in one week that T-Bone has agreed with me
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Canuckbass

8lb Berkley Trilene XL is perfect.
6'6 medium rod or medium light. Make sure tip is flexible but middle of rod has good backbone to set a good hook. Don't want to flexible fairy wand of a rod.

Rod and reel, balance is important. Don't want to tip heavy.

Rod, I use a 6'6 Abu Garcia ML Vengence

I have couple dozen premium rods but only take a few cheaper ones to camp, Abu Garcia makes quality rods that don't break the wallet.

Hodgey1

Merry Christmas to everyone.

I've appreciated all the input and advice helping make our trip to Kipawa more enjoyable. I am enjoining reading all of your posts.

Thanks again,
Hodgey1
Walleye Rock!

Dog

I've come to a common sense reality about my golfing and fishing equipment.

What you use doesn't matter as much as the person holding the equipment.
Operator error, I've found, is more likely to lead to my poor performance fishing or golfing than any equipment I can justify spending money on.... so my newfound reality is that I buy what feels good to me because it's more about how I use it than what I'm using...

My advice would be to read a few good walleye and northern pike or lake trout books (educate yourself..). learn about the species tendancies during the time of year you're going to be fishing for them (learn about the mayfly hatch and how to fish during ne, just in case)... depth is more important (to me) than the rod, reel, line and usually bait being used... after depth, presentation (if you're contantly moving the bait it's hard for the fish to bite it unless they're in an uber agressive feeding frenzy, i have learned this the hard way)... so let it sit there = patience, it's easier to let he fish move (since they constantly are moving around a lake) than try to chase them around the lake... unless you're on a honey hole, never anchor. drift around a bit and if drifting isn't catching anything try trolling...

Lastly, I've spent thousands of dollars on fishing equipment over the years and what I always end up using are a few rapala crankbaits (usually the Jointed type) and some neon color 1/8 & 1/4oz jig heads.... there's aren't many walleye or northern you can't catch these two simple items in your tackle box (and live bait, worms or leeches)...

Good luck
One more cast...

puckster_guy

Got it down to a science. A cooler full of pops a jig and a worm, Keep drifting points and humps till you get a hit. The cooler diving will keep your arm in shape till the fish get hungry. Easy
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

T-Bone

Quote from: Dog on December 27, 2016, 03:55:15 PM
... unless you're on a honey hole, never anchor. drift around a bit and if drifting isn't catching anything try trolling...

Lastly, I've spent thousands of dollars on fishing equipment over the years and what I always end up using are a few rapala crankbaits (usually the Jointed type) and some neon color 1/8 & 1/4oz jig heads.... there's aren't many walleye or northern you can't catch these two simple items in your tackle box (and live bait, worms or leeches)...

Well...I differ in my opinion on approach to getting on fish. IMO, the 'eyes in Kipawa typically hold on very specific locations...VERY specific locations. If they're not on one, try another. Not there, go to the next...and so on. We anchor 98% of the time. With that said, you may want to bring up you're own anchor rope (50' should be plenty, but 100' gives you more latitude and cost nominally more) as sometimes the camp boats ropes can be a little short if the fish are sitting deep. This piece of equipment is one of your most important if you were to ask me. I actually bring my own anchor too as I want to be absolutely sure that when I find the spot, I stay on it. Alwaki's anchors are legit though...not just some block of cement in a coffee can.

Dog's advice on baits in spot-on. I take up about $1500 worth of gear...typically use only 1 or 2 rod/reel combos, maybe 20 jigs and bodies, and maybe 2-3 other hard baits.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Oarin

Here's a picture of some of our gear. The hand bilge pump is well worth the cost. So much easier and faster than a can or jug. The mooring clips are great, especially in bad weather or if the bugs are out. We use wreath hangers or metal coat hangers bent and duct taped the the side of the boat for extra rods to keep them out of the way. We also have d cell front and back lights in case we're out late. T-Bone's tip on an anchor and rope was a good one. We have both. 

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on December 30, 2016, 01:00:46 PM
Here's a picture of some of our gear. The hand bilge pump is well worth the cost. So much easier and faster than a can or jug. The mooring clips are great, especially in bad weather or if the bugs are out. We use wreath hangers or metal coat hangers bent and duct taped the the side of the boat for extra rods to keep them out of the way. We also have d cell front and back lights in case we're out late. T-Bone's tip on an anchor and rope was a good one.

Can you elaborate on the use of the mooring clips? Is its purpose to speed up docking?
Walleye Rock!

Oarin

Yes Hodgey, and it's safer, no chance of the tie up coming loose in high winds. It makes mooring much faster too. If you're coming back to your cabin at dusk or later the skeeters will be waiting for you! The faster the better. A cheap way to beat the bugs.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on December 30, 2016, 10:54:34 PM
Yes Hodgey, and it's safer, no chance of the tie up coming loose in high winds. It makes mooring much faster too. If you're coming back to your cabin at dusk or later the skeeters will be waiting for you! The faster the better. A cheap way to beat the bugs.
Thanks Oarin. Dam skeeters! >:(
Walleye Rock!

SgtCrabby

TBone: what style and size of anchors do you use?   
   Down here mushroom anchors are used a lot  (lots of muddy bottoms).

Oarin:  now I have to go and find me some of those rod hangers.  Good idea there;  thanks

Canuckbass

Quote from: T-Bone on December 30, 2016, 07:48:29 AM
Quote from: Dog on December 27, 2016, 03:55:15 PM
... unless you're on a honey hole, never anchor. drift around a bit and if drifting isn't catching anything try trolling...

Well...I differ in my opinion on approach to getting on fish. IMO, the 'eyes in Kipawa typically hold on very specific locations...VERY specific locations. If they're not on one, try another. Not there, go to the next...and so on. We anchor 98% of the time. With that said, you may want to bring up you're own anchor rope (50' should be plenty, but 100' gives you more latitude and cost nominally more) as sometimes the camp boats ropes can be a little short if the fish are sitting deep. This piece of equipment is one of your most important if you were to ask me. I actually bring my own anchor too as I want to be absolutely sure that when I find the spot, I stay on it. Alwaki's anchors are legit though...not just some block of cement in a coffee can.

Dog's advice on baits in spot-on. I take up about $1500 worth of gear...typically use only 1 or 2 rod/reel combos, maybe 20 jigs and bodies, and maybe 2-3 other hard baits.

I fully agree with anchoring, boat position is a huge part of fishing and staying on the fish. Once you locate you can anchor and catch many. Drifting also causes many more snags.
Anchoring, you can still cast around to locate other school close by. Larger walleye I find usually don't school up but on outside of active school.

kipawa4

When I bought my used boat. I was blessed with a very nice anchor, with no rope. Minn Kota Terrova.   Boy do I love that thing. Push a button and stay on the spot with no rope in the way. You may drift about 10 ft. then right back to the spot you were on. Last year was learning how to run it. Still lots to learn yet. Truly was blessed with that motor.  I still can't believe I have one.

Oarin

T-Bone was right about the anchors. We have a 12lb. Richter pronged anchor with 50 ft of rope. It works great.

puckster_guy

Ya I like the idea of a trolling motor with GPS to keep you on a spot rather then anchors. Once I finish building I'll get myself one.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)