Camp food

Started by Hodgey1, May 09, 2017, 12:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michelle

I like cooking but I do have days where I'm not into it as much. So we bring a mix of both, some frozen meals and fresh ingredients for the days I'm inclined to cook. 

Hodgey1

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 11, 2017, 08:03:09 AM
LOL... Now your really getting technical.
They might have them at Duty free?
I have a shop in Port Credit, Ontario that will ship to you.
He could even ship them to your resort operator and they will be waiting for you upon your arrival.

Figured it was worth a shot  ;) thanks!

Quote from: limacharley on May 11, 2017, 09:03:58 AM
How Presidential of you guys...!
Craft beer and Cuban cigars...jeeez.

Do you bring a massage table too?

??? Just might, thanks for the inspiration  8) I work hard, in the most un-presidential  business's on the planet, so that there is funny.

Vacation is beyond important to me. Also, where I live there is a enormous explosion of locally made and sourced products available, including craft beer, whiskeys and such. It has beyond opened my eyes to the fact that there's more than just vanilla ice cream. As far as the Cubans go, its the fourth quarter of the big game for me and no guarantee of overtime, I've never had one and I enjoy a smoke now and again, so I'm going to search them out..

So, I will be cooking up a storm, drinking great beer, relaxing with a fine Cuban cigar, fishing and hanging with some great people while at Kipawa. You're right, that is pretty Presidential!

Quote from: T-Bone on May 11, 2017, 09:04:59 AM
Duty Free has cigars...expensive if I recall correctly. Don't ever remember Cubans per se...but Dominicans...etc.

Thanks, i'll have to stop on the way up.
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

The American Duty Free will most likely have Dominicans but not Cubans as it sits on American land and the Canadian Duty Free you can't go to until you leave. They probably don't sell them either as they are prohibited entry in America.

Like Rhybak mentioned, find a store on your way.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Quote from: michelle on May 11, 2017, 09:29:05 AM
I like cooking but I do have days where I'm not into it as much. So we bring a mix of both, some frozen meals and fresh ingredients for the days I'm inclined to cook.

Michelle, you have summed up exactly how I feel and that is the way I'm going to roll with food. Thanks

Quote from: limacharley on May 11, 2017, 10:10:07 AM
The American Duty Free will most likely have Dominicans but not Cubans as it sits on American land and the Canadian Duty Free you can't go to until you leave. They probably don't sell them either as they are prohibited entry in America.
Like Rhybak mentioned, find a store on your way.

Lima, thanks for the info.

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 11, 2017, 10:24:43 AM
here you go.
Just off the highway in Barrie.
Excellent little pitstop area for Gas, Food, Coffee etc.

And your cigars

Perfect! Thanks Rhybak
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

I also found that a box of wine does not roll around in aluminum boat as much as a bottle and a lot quieter.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Canuckbass on May 11, 2017, 09:19:48 PM
I also found that a box of wine does not roll around in aluminum boat as much as a bottle and a lot quieter.

That's funny  ;D I don't care who you are! It won't scare the fish.........will it.......!
Walleye Rock!

SgtCrabby

A boxed wine?  now there's a great idea!
And yep, it shouldn't scare the fish either.

Michelle;   I agree, I'm our camp cook and some days I just don't feel up to it. We bring 2 frozen meals each year.

Hodgey1

I have crossed the border into Canada many times over the years and never had any issues, but I have never made a crossing carrying any goods or much equipment as I am for this trip to Kipawa. What should I be prepared for at the border, much if anything? I'm not going to have anything with us that should be a problem, just supplies and gear for the trip.

Because I am planning on bringing some of our food premade and froze, should I maybe have a list showing all content of the coolers? I'm just trying to be prepared, I've heard some second hand horror stories but not sure if they are BS. I don't want any problems if I can avoid them.
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

We've never had an issue and bring in many, many pounds of frozen meat. Many pounds....
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: T-Bone on May 15, 2017, 08:44:33 PM
We've never had an issue

Good to hear. I live approximately 8.5 hours away and trying to figure out how much time to build into our schedule for the border crossing. If the total travel time is 9.5 hrs "1 hour at Border" I could leave my house a 3:30am and skip a hotel stay? But my fear is, issues at boarder holding us up longer........ ???
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

here is a link to the Canada Border Services website:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990#a1

Now I can tell a few things that are a red flag from what I remember:

no fresh blueberries only frozen
absolutely no firewood
absolutely no dirt/topsoil etc....worm bedding should be organic

Any other questions, try to contact the port you plan on crossing for up to date info.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Quote from: limacharley on May 16, 2017, 12:31:46 PM
here is a link to the Canada Border Services website:

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990#a1

Now I can tell a few things that are a red flag from what I remember:

no fresh blueberries only frozen
absolutely no firewood
absolutely no dirt/topsoil etc....worm bedding should be organic

Any other questions, try to contact the port you plan on crossing for up to date info.

Good tips, thanks for weighing in. I heard earlier that potatoes are a no also?
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Ahhhh...the border crossing. So many variables. Could be 10-minutes, could be an hour and a half. Hard to tell on any given day. Where are you driving from?

Hotel (really, motel if you're staying in Temiscaming) costs are pretty reasonable. Like $100CDN...so that's $70US...or $35 per person. Almost worth it for the piece-of-mind that you can take your time and not worry about things that are totally out of your control anyway...like border crossing mayhem..traffic jams (see Hwy. 400 North on Friday 1PM - all day Saturday)...or all Toronto freeway traffic if you don't use the 407ETR (which, by the way, is worth every penny if coming from Fort Erie / Niagara area though the most-expensive toll road I've ever seen).

On restricted things, if it can house bugs of any kind, it's probably not a good idea to try and bring it. Our rules are simple...non-perishables from home, perishables purchased in Canada.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on May 16, 2017, 01:37:57 PM
Ahhhh...the border crossing. So many variables. Could be 10-minutes, could be an hour and a half. Hard to tell on any given day. Where are you driving from?

Hotel (really, motel if you're staying in Temiscaming) costs are pretty reasonable. Like $100CDN...so that's $70US...or $35 per person. Almost worth it for the piece-of-mind that you can take your time and not worry about things that are totally out of your control anyway...like border crossing mayhem..traffic jams (see Hwy. 400 North on Friday 1PM - all day Saturday)...or all Toronto freeway traffic if you don't use the 407ETR (which, by the way, is worth every penny if coming from Fort Erie / Niagara area though the most-expensive toll road I've ever seen).

On restricted things, if it can house bugs of any kind, it's probably not a good idea to try and bring it. Our rules are simple...non-perishables from home, perishables purchased in Canada.

Such a nice man so full of wisdom.

30 days and counting
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle