Off to red pine (first ever winter trip.)

Started by puckster_guy, February 19, 2018, 01:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Hali

Thanks for the awesome pictures PG. There must be some amazing star gazing on a clear night.

getthenet

puckster_guy

Quote from: Captain Hali on February 27, 2018, 05:28:14 PM
Thanks for the awesome pictures PG. There must be some amazing star gazing on a clear night.

I wish there was, a full moon is washing out the sky. Bummer lol
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

T-Bone

Nice update...thanks. Cool part about being up there this time of year is the simplicity of keeping the beer cold.  :o
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

puckster_guy

Ya got that right t_bone, you don't even need the coolers except to keep the squirrels from getting at your food. Several red squirrels and chipmunks around. BUT!!!! NO BUGS. That alone is worth the price of admission.  :D

@SgtCrabby You Texans gotta make a winter trip. We can't have all the fun!!

SgtCrabby

@puckster_guy,  I love the pics.   
I once lived in the US state of Nebraska, and have seen hard topped lakes. I use to curse them because I wanted open water to fish.  Some folks there did drag ice houses out and cut holes in the lake;  I might have tried it, but I didn't know anyone with an ice house. 😄   
If I ever do make a winter trip, you'll be the first to know, 'cause, I'll probably want to stay at the Hodge-Podge-Lodge.

BTW:  is that a bag of ice besides the sleeman's beer? 

puckster_guy

SgtCrabby

Ahh, now I get it:  snow to cool beer, clean bagged ice is to pour the whisky over.   
That makes perfect sense. 

puckster_guy

Quote from: SgtCrabby on February 28, 2018, 07:42:04 PM
Ahh, now I get it:  snow to cool beer, clean bagged ice is to pour the whisky over.   
That makes perfect sense.
Just being practical, Sarge. Winter is a different ball game. I'm Liking it.

Greg

Great pics and great to see the lake in a very different season than usual.

Have the ice fishing restrictions been lifted? or still a no-no?  Would you be doing any fishing if allowed?

puckster_guy

Hey Greg. Ice fishing is still closed. I can't find any info on when they may reopen it. I just found out ice fishing is open to the east of the bridge on the Kipawa river. I've never fished that area before but I will this summer to scout out some spots  for winter fishing and explore some new territory. I've bought an old skidoo citation from a hockey buddy that'll pick up this summer So I can get around next winter. I'm home now and the trip was a success. Now I know what's involved in a winter trip, how much wood I need for the stove, how the camp warms up etc. Now I'm looking forward to next winter and turning it into a 4 seasons camp. I have a ton more work to finish the place but the end is in sight. I'm hoping to get it all done by August.

getthenet

With camp done in August , you can retire in September ? haha

Greg

Sounds like a 100% successful and 200% educational trip which will set you up for the future.

I'm so jealous with what you have been building and establishing!!  It has my mind spinning with what I might want to do.

Greg

puckster_guy

You can do it. Where there's a will there's a way. For me When the kids moved out I sold my house paid off all my debts and bought and built up north on the equity. Plus some family money (inheritance). Not to mention a lot of determination. The fact that I paid about 50k for the lot was instrumental. I shopped all over Ontario for a lot. There is nothing for less then 200k. I think I got the deal of the century. I don't know why those of you that are closer to the lake aren't setting up shop here. You can still pick and choose lots for about 65k.

puckster_guy

The ride home was snowy we got about 6 inches of powder on Wed. Red pine was not yet plowed but plenty of tire tracks to follow. Maniwaki was scrapped to the gravel and an easy drive. Ice filled in the ruts and it made for a smooth drive