Bait stores

Started by fishtildark, June 03, 2018, 12:20:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtildark

Good afternoon everyone,
Over the years there has been a lot of discussion of bait stores . We are thinking of buying the nightcrawlers closer to the fishing this year and was wondering about everyones recent experience with Billy Bob vs the store at Trout lake or Pronature. We have bought from Billy Bob a few years ago and from Big Ed? one time. Had no problem with Billy BoB but think Ed was distracted when he counted the crawlers.. Anyway , any new intel would be appreciated and also is it necessary to reserve for crawlers? buying between a half and full flat . thanks.
oh yea,,, 5 DAYS !!!!!!
So many lures and so little time.

crackers42

you cant go wrong at Trout Lake.

crunchie

Just wondering, is there something about Kipawa Bait store, price, size, quantity, quality?  I'm sure the owner would like to know.
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

fishtildark

Hi Crunchie,
I don't know of anything wrong with Kipawa bait . I didn't ask about it specifically because we drive all day Friday and stay in Temiscaming. would like to have the worm details taken care of Friday night with out a trip over to Kipawa and we leave on the Maniwaki , sometimes before 8. So just a matter of convenience since we don't go through Kipawa normally. Thanks.

Oarin

Same with us as with Fishtildark. We buy ours at the Pronature store and avoid a trip to Kipawa We have been very satisfied with the service and quality of the leeches. We get our licenses there as well. Oarin.

RickOnt

I have bought at Billy Bobs and Trout Lake and never had an issue

But the last few years its  Pronature for me  The big advantage is location, convenience and always get quality bait at competitive price.

Cheers
Rick
"Making Memories"

T-Bone

Quote from: crunchie on June 03, 2018, 10:57:28 PM
Just wondering, is there something about Kipawa Bait store, price, size, quantity, quality?  I'm sure the owner would like to know.

We always get our bait at Kipawa Bait and Tackle, but then again we're getting picked-up by Alwaki Lodge only 1/4 mile from there. Quality is always good, price is market rate, I guess. Corina is great...always helpful and fun to chat with. I'm not sure how Pronature sells their leeches or crawlers...never have seen a "bait area" other than a refrigerator near the front of the store. Maybe for a pound of leeches and several dozen crawlers that's fine, but we're buying 4-pounds of leeches at least and a full flat of crawlers, so Kipawa B&T seems most-equipped to handle that volume.

Getting bait in North Bay seems like it would be a hassle to have to "keep" the bait overnight while in Temiscaming, store it, handle it...etc. We get our bait about 15-minutes before we board the boat to Alwaki...perfect set-up.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Pronature will also take orders and have the bait waiting for you at your prearranged pick up date.
Flats of worms or Leeches by the pound.
They take care of us well.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jighead

We also always use Corina at Kipawa Bait. Good quality leeches and crawlers. She will also have your licenses ready if you send her some general info ahead of time. Also, like TBone, we go to Alwaki and location can't beat.

Balsams

My preferred bait is rapala. It's nice not having to worry about bait, and keep bait fresh, and have bait trailings, etc to deal with. Chocolate almonds and potato chips and rum & coke don't mix well with bait of any kind. To each his own. Use to love pike fishing with big sucker minnows under a bobber. Alas, no minnows at kipawa area. Lures work well too. I'd go with Billy Bob purely for the name.

crunchie

I used to run the Maniwaki road years ago, but now sail out of Kipawa.  I think I forgot about all those that don't need to drive down the hill.
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

Hodgey1

Quote from: Balsams on June 04, 2018, 08:24:46 PM
almonds, potato chips and rum & coke don't mix well with bait of any kind.

A person after my own heart!  ;D
Walleye Rock!

fishtildark

Good morning and thanks to everyone for the imput on the crawlers. I made a couple phone calls to confirm whether we needed to reserve or not and it seems that it may boil down to whether we feel like a stop or not in North bay or wait til Temiscaming. The real  benefit of the discussion is I didn't hear anything bad about any of the suppliers.
Well the gear is ready and I am sure way more than I will use, but it also doesn't do any good sitting in the basement . The groceries are packed except for a few perishables and we will make the Duty free purchases and then top things off at the IGA-another great piece of advice that came through this board...Thanks to all  and although I know its not exactly Kipawa, its close enough and I will post a report.  FTD

3   Days

RHYBAK

Quote from: fishtildark on June 06, 2018, 06:44:22 AM
Good morning and thanks to everyone for the imput on the crawlers. I made a couple phone calls to confirm whether we needed to reserve or not and it seems that it may boil down to whether we feel like a stop or not in North bay or wait til Temiscaming. The real  benefit of the discussion is I didn't hear anything bad about any of the suppliers.
Well the gear is ready and I am sure way more than I will use, but it also doesn't do any good sitting in the basement . The groceries are packed except for a few perishables and we will make the Duty free purchases and then top things off at the IGA-another great piece of advice that came through this board...Thanks to all  and although I know its not exactly Kipawa, its close enough and I will post a report.  FTD

3   Days

In regards to over packing
A wise man once told me..... IT IS BETTER TO LOOK AT IT THAT LOOK FOR IT
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle