Equiptment for Kipawa walleye

Started by Hodgey1, December 21, 2016, 05:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fort Wisers

Quote from: puckster_guy on December 28, 2016, 07:08:21 PM
Got it down to a science. A cooler full of pops a jig and a worm, Keep drifting points and humps till you get a hit. The cooler diving will keep your arm in shape till the fish get hungry. Easy

HAHAHAAH this is so true @puckster_guy !

I'm just getting back from a job that has comsumed way too much free time.
Its great to be back reading these posts!

I am by no means a fishing expert and since kids fishing, the pursuit has taken back seat to different interests.
That being said, my uncle used to always fish us under the table, the only rule he had was to ensure your gear was reliable and ready for some abuse....that's it.
We did a lot of back bush fishing trips by ATV, hiking in, etc and that can be hard on gear. Even just hauling up Kip in an aluminum boat on a "rougher seas" day can rattle and jar stuff to the point of complete degradation. Its a real shame to spend a ton of money on gear then have it get all marred up on a rougher trip.

Anyhow, I have little to offer as real advice, the others on the board who have already posted are the ones to listen to.....
My only real advice would be go with an open mind ready to enjoy the amazing place you're about to visit.
If the weather sucks? You're still fishing! The fish aint biting? You're still fishing......if the drinks run out....well, ok, that's tough, hopefully you have more back at camp!
Catching the fish is important (as is the gear that come with that), but it's the journey and adventure that really matters........

Take care and good luck, welcome to the board!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Fort Wisers on January 16, 2017, 11:30:18 AM
  it's the journey and adventure that really matters........

FW,

Great advice, I can't agree more on your comment on the journey and adventure! This much needed and antisapated trip is as much about that and being with family and friends as anything. Catching fish will be a bonus :D!

Thanks FW and glad to be aboard here, lots of great information.

Hodgey
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

I now have two of my fishing reels purchased, poles next. One Pflueger President 6930 and one Quantum Energy PT25. I am debating with my fishing partner/son-in-law about fishing line. We are contemplating buying a 1000 yrd spool of Seaguar Red Label Fluorocarbon 8lb. Can't wait to get the line wet!
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Any tips on how to safely get pole into camp unbroken? Specific recommendations appreciated. We will probably have 6-8 poles/reels.
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

4"-5" PVC plumbing tube with end caps holds about 6 rods. Glue in cheap car wash sponges cut into end caps to protect tips. Cheap and effective. Have had mine for about 20 years. Put reels in center of clothing duffel to protect them.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: T-Bone on February 13, 2017, 09:02:36 PM
4"-5" PVC plumbing tube with end caps holds about 6 rods. Glue in cheap car wash sponges cut into end caps to protect tips. Cheap and effective. Have had mine for about 20 years. Put reels in center of clothing duffel to protect them.
That a great tip, I'm going to work on that this coming weekend. Thanks TB

Do you wrap each pole with something?
Walleye Rock!

Canuckbass

@Hodgey1 The Rod Glove works awesome too. Best way to carry several rods at once. For packing/ traveling you want a hard case.
I bought a soft case years ago, I can fit 8 rods/ reels in and perfect for travel.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Canuckbass on February 15, 2017, 12:58:29 AM
@Hodgey1 The Rod Glove works awesome too. Best way to carry several rods at once. For packing/ traveling you want a hard case.
I bought a soft case years ago, I can fit 8 rods/ reels in and perfect for travel.

The rod glove looks like a nice product and pretty reasonably priced. Thanks Cbass
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

So???
Now I have a question.

I just bought a new LUND that has a 10 rod , rod locker.

Would you cover the rod with a Red Glove prior to storing it in the rod locker?
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Canuckbass

Quote from: RHYBAK on February 15, 2017, 09:24:27 AM
So???
Now I have a question.

I just bought a new LUND that has a 10 rod , rod locker.

Would you cover the rod with a Red Glove prior to storing it in the rod locker?

If you are anal about your rods and pack them in. They are great for not getting tangled and protect blanks, guides and line.
I have all shorter length ones, as I always 5 or 6 rods transporting. Keeps tips from tangling etc.

Most Tournament guys remove the factory inserts in their storage compartment, the use The Rod Glove and pack 20+ rods in no problem.

I also use them on ice rods, great to pack 4 rods in my case.

RHYBAK

LOL.... Feels weird having two different conversations on two different fishing sites

T-Bone

Not sure what the value of Rod Glove would be unless you're storing rods in a protected area and were REALLY anal about keeping your rods like brand-spanking-new. I mean, if I were to step on a rod that's in a Rod Glove would I break off the eyelets? Or break the rod? I think the answer would be yes. So, that begs the question, am I just protecting the shiny finish of a rod, or am I missing something here? I get the bit about keeping the tips from tangling...probably worth it in that alone. 

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

SgtCrabby

Agreeing with TBone, I've always felt the rod gloves were mainly to prevent tangles.

I also use the homemade PVC rod tube for storage and transport.
2,000 miles one way in the back of a pickup truck makes for lots of potentual rod damage.

Canuckbass

Tangles is main thing and protect. Does not protect from abusing them. Carrying more then a couple they are great and just bundle together.

RHYBAK

Quote from: Canuckbass on February 16, 2017, 06:16:58 AM
Tangles is main thing and protect. Does not protect from abusing them. Carrying more then a couple they are great and just bundle together.

T-Bone needs pictures in order to grasp the idea.