Front Page News

Started by T-Bone, November 13, 2018, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

limacharley

Hi Joe-nice looking pics
Give me a heads up next time you're coming up; would love to visit. As long as it's on the weekend.

Just a couple of ideas as you were describing your pictures:

I also have a cathedral ceiling and I put in a 12v ceiling fan. Man what a difference.
We cut a large hole thru the ice and pull up 5 gallon buckets of water and keep it inside for use....dishes, toilet, washing.
……….just remember to empty your toilet before you leave and put some plumbing antifreeze in there or you know what???

Ryback's advice is sound-take the first spin without a trailer/sled and pack down all your trails you foresee needing over winter.
What you are essentially doing is compacting all the moisture in the snow.

I can show you how us northern boys get our sleds unstuck since you don't have a lot of experience.
It's important now because of our ages.....you don't need a heart attack.

I don't know if you've met Bob Derochers near you but he fishes the river....it's NOT CLOSED.

Give me a call at 705-498-2827; I may be able to store your trailer and sled in North Bay at my manufacturing plant. All gated, video cameras...secure.

I'm going in this weekend to get my chainsaw. I need to convert the chain into a ripping chain to use on my chainsaw mill. 2 dock stringers coming up...!
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

puckster_guy

Hi LC I've met Bob a couple of times, I'll talk to him this summer about where he goes. I've been meaning to learn that lake anyway. I've been up there a couple of times. Thanks for the offer about parking the trailer there, I think I'd like to take you up on it next winter. I left the sled at camp and have the trailer down here. I got some stuff to bring to camp in spring. Anyway I programmed your number into my phone and I'll give you a call on Sat. They took me off my weekend shift and am back on a regular shift so I will hook up one weekend this winter. I retire on April Fools day (how fitting lol) That changes everything.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Fort Wisers

Went up to camp this Friday past for a quick turn around to clear the parking areas, the old blower worked hard this trip.
Lots of snow, I'd say between 3-4 feet standing in the bush, maybe more in low spots.

Dog Huts:

Gazebo roof is looking heavy (Shoveled some off while there):

Hope everyone is having a great winter.....

puckster_guy

Headin' up to camp wed or thurs. Coming home on monday. My weekend shift just got changed back to a mon to fri routine So I'm using up my last few holidays to make a last winter trip this year. I handed in my notice at work a couple of weeks ago. April 1st is my official retirement day. I thought April Fools day would be a fitting time to leave work.  :) ;D 8) I'll send a note and pics when I get there

limacharley

You should find a Scottish bagpiper to play as you leave work for the last time. A colleague of mine did this. It was like sticking it to management.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

puckster_guy

Brilliant LC. I may just make a recording on my phone and blast it thru a portable speaker. That would be fun and to be drummed out... ;D 8)

puckster_guy

Hi guys. I made it to camp close to 3pm. The roads were snow covered with ice underneath. Maniwaki I was doing about 60 kph all the way in. Red pine rd was the same doing close to 60 in. The road is plowed to within 2 driveways of my place. I walked in got a fire lit and tried to move the snowmobile. No trouble starting it. It was just buried in the snow. About 3 feet here. A few neighbours are here so I'm gonna see about getting a hand tomorrow.  Temps are -7C outside and a bit warmer inside lol.

That bump in the snow is my sled. Next year I haul it in everytime.

Fort Wisers

Awesome to hear from you Joe!
Glad to hear the roads are plowed and that you made it in ok.
Thanks as always for sharing your pics and trip reports.
Keep warm....

Jig and drift

That s a lot of snow. Here in northeast Ohio yesterday we had snow in the AM and rain in the PM so now it's mud and 40.

Fort Wisers

Wasn't sure where to post so figured I'd revive this thread!
We spent a week at the cabin for the kids March break.

The weather was all over the map.
Some days nice and sunny, some snow days, some with heavy rain, a few nights well into the negative double digits and even one night with heavy rain and some lightning!
Camp and woodshed roofs finally let their snow loads slide during the rain one night.
We got some general tree clean-up / firewood done, took a snow shoe out to the ski hill for fries / poutine one day and managed to fit in a few games of crib, war or crazy eights during more miserable days.
Some of the warmer days and rain certainly helped put a bit of a dent into the snow pack but there's still a lot of snow in the bush.

puckster_guy

Say hello to my new friend.  When I retired I got my 4 weeks vacation pay. I just replaced the drowned Lowrance unit with this guy...

Nancy

Have fun with your new Garmin, @puckster_guy! I just got last year's discontinued version. And like it bunches.

puckster_guy

How cool,Nancy ty. I'm looking forward to playing with the mapping tool. Does anybody know if it'll correct the built in map? I know on the old one some areas were wrong.
Looks like I'm heading to camp tomorrow (the23rd) Or possibly Wednesday depending on circumstances. The snow has come off the roads and looks like I should be able to drive in. I heard there a washout on Red pine road on a hill coming up to the bridge at the 8km mark. I'm gonna be hauling in my trailer with some stuff including my old tool box from work and some skids I wanna use to build a firewood shed. Gonna be an interesting ride in. I hear the roads are a bit rutted.

penner

Joe. Curious to hear how the road in is. Hoping to take a drive up first wknd in May. Keep us posted.

puckster_guy

Hi Penner. The road in is  typical spring conditions. Maniwaki was rutted in spots but over all speed was around 60 to 70k's. Red Pine road was similay but in good shape. There is a nasty spot where the road is rutted two chasms lol side by side about  a foot deep and and about 18 inches wide. My Cherokee and trailer had no issue going thru. An easy drive the snow is off all the major roads. I had to park the Jeep at the end of the drive way and walk in. Still almost 8 inches of snow there but half the lot is clear of snow. I gotta fire up the fire pit tonight.  The lake in front of me is about a third open water with lots of wood floating in it. The main lake is still ice covered. I'm set up and going home in two weeks then back for the opener. Gee retirement sucks. Many years of planning made it aĺ possible. I'll see you when you come up Penner. I'll be here. Now that the camp is almost done. It's time to look after a neglected lot. A ton of trees about as thick as my thumb have to be removed etc. I hot pics for all y'all. Heres a handful ..

That last pic was at the IGA in town. That Eagle came down there and that kid was feeding it hot dogs. What an amazing sight.