Off to red pine (first ever winter trip.)

Started by puckster_guy, February 19, 2018, 01:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

limacharley

Hi Puckster,
If I had the time I would have visited. Love the pics. I somehow can't post my pics ever!!!

Just curious: Is your floor insulated? How long did it take for your cabin to get to say 72°?
If you go back up, let me know.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Jig and drift

Two questions. What's the wildlife sightings at this time ? You mention grouse but anything else? We saw moose on the Red Pine but that was summer. The other is who else is back in  there at this time of year to make the tire tracks on the road ?  If no ice fishing just snowmobilers or Is some logging taking place ?   Just wondered. I am just as jealous as the others to what you have been able to grow up there.

Thanks again

puckster_guy

Hi LC. The floor is not insulated yet. I still need to install a water heater, likely an on demand system, also I need to do a wiring job as well. Hopefully it'll be sprayed in the fall. The walls are R2= and cielings R32. It takes about 5 hours or so to get the camp that warm. Then once the walls and building itself warms up it doesn't take much to keep it warm. A neighbour uses a small salamander type propane heater to augment the stove till the place warms up. He says he can heat his place real quick. I'm not going up again till April when I can drive in (or sooner) We gotta get together for a beer.

Red squirrels and chipmonks were about and active. I saw moose tracks in the snow on the road in but I didn't see it. Oddly I didn't see many birds of any stripe, wood peckers were active. There is logging going around. I was passed by 2 huge logging trucks. One full the other not. @ trucks hauling heavy equipment as well. Ice fishing is allowed on lakes containing no lakers. Apparently the Kipawa river is open east of the bridge. One neighbour a local comes up once or twice a week.                                                                                           
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Jig and drift

So the short of it is there is always something going on in the backwoods.  Just wondered if minus all the green the wildlife was more visible. The last couple of years we have seen multiple moose and bear driving in and out but they vanish once they get off the road and hit the bush. Thanks again for the updates and continued enjoyment of your camp.

puckster_guy

Quote from: Jig and drift on March 03, 2018, 05:51:38 PM
So the short of it is there is always something going on in the backwoods.  Just wondered if minus all the green the wildlife was more visible. The last couple of years we have seen multiple moose and bear driving in and out but they vanish once they get off the road and hit the bush. Thanks again for the updates and continued enjoyment of your camp.
TY jig and drift, btw I do a lot of that too. I'm enjoying sharing my adventures as a camp owner, I do feel blessed. Stop by for a beer or three when your on the lake. I'd be glad to show you around and some of my spots. It's not as busy as the rest of the lake. The place is alive with wildlife in the summer.

Oarin

Puckster, I saw the hockey stick. Have you shoveled off a part of the ice to skate?

puckster_guy

The idea did occur to me. The surface was far too rough. I'd like to cut a hole and use an old sump pump I have to flood it one winter. That should be a fun project, maybe set up a red pine tourney lol.

Fort Wisers

Hey PG, Awesome hearing about your trip, glad you enjoyed what winter has to offer!
You will love getting the floor insulated, mind you there's something to be said about lounging around camp in slippers LOL

Good stuff, thanks for sharing and for posting all the pics!