Any Updates from Ground Zero?

Started by T-Bone, May 21, 2018, 09:51:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuckbass

Black flies were just starting on weekend, weren't thick or to bad in open areas. Wooded and damp areas they were thicker.
Watkins is best I've tried, use it all the time.

puckster_guy

I used to see and eat the mint leaves when out in the woods of Muskoka. I haven't seen them here, are they around here?
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Fort Wisers

Quote from: puckster_guy on May 29, 2018, 06:37:55 AM
I used to see and eat the mint leaves when out in the woods of Muskoka. I haven't seen them here, are they around here?

My Mom and Aunt used to pick mint leaves all the time when we were kids while we were up at Kipawa for the summer.
That was down in Jawbone Bay.

puckster_guy

Quote from: Fort Wisers on May 29, 2018, 06:44:30 AM
Quote from: puckster_guy on May 29, 2018, 06:37:55 AM

My Mom and Aunt used to pick mint leaves all the time when we were kids while we were up at Kipawa for the summer.
That was down in Jawbone Bay.

Cool FW I gotta look around some. They'll make a great tea as well.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Kyle Skelding

What are the water temps looking like? We drive up Saturday!

crackers42

Kyle Skelding

Thanks @crackers42. That's a little warmer then it was last year when we were up. Warm enough for a quick swim to freshen up haha.   

Hodgey1

Anyone just getting back with any new updates?
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Quote from: Hodgey1 on June 05, 2018, 12:24:10 PM

Was thinking the same thing earlier today; across, say, the top 5 "most-mentioned" fishing camps, plus those with private cabins, plus those that have fished the area via camping or other, there are about 150+ anglers hitting this lake each week. Probably more like 200, but let's stay conservative. That's over 300 individual experiences fishing the lake since opener.

Fishing Reports = 2...a whopping .7% Trip Report Score.

Yeah, I know what some people think..."Why would I tell you about my fishing trip so that you can steal my spots and my techniques." To that I say, "Oh, brother. The lake has 1,100 miles of shoreline...I'm pretty sure your 'secrets' are safe." I give people the exact spot, what to do, when to do it, etc. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes not. But all I really ever want to know is, "How is the lake? Catch anything? Have fun?"

So...where are all the fishing reports?

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: T-Bone on June 05, 2018, 02:57:56 PM
.7% Trip Report Score

T-Bone, .7 just will not do! I will step up to the plate and give a report from work.

Work report 6-5-18

Arrived at work at 6:58am eastern time, eagerly awaiting lunch time. 12:00p took lunch then contemplated how long the next 3.5 hrs would go by. Checked Kip Forum at 3:15 and can't wait to leave at 3:30.

The end  :D
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on June 05, 2018, 02:57:56 PM
Quote from: Hodgey1 on June 05, 2018, 12:24:10 PM

Was thinking the same thing earlier today; across, say, the top 5 "most-mentioned" fishing camps, plus those with private cabins, plus those that have fished the area via camping or other, there are about 150+ anglers hitting this lake each week. Probably more like 200, but let's stay conservative. That's over 300 individual experiences fishing the lake since opener.

Fishing Reports = 2...a whopping .7% Trip Report Score.

Yeah, I know what some people think..."Why would I tell you about my fishing trip so that you can steal my spots and my techniques." To that I say, "Oh, brother. The lake has 1,100 miles of shoreline...I'm pretty sure your 'secrets' are safe." I give people the exact spot, what to do, when to do it, etc. Sometimes they succeed, sometimes not. But all I really ever want to know is, "How is the lake? Catch anything? Have fun?"

So...where are all the fishing reports?

Well , obviously of the 900 people up there since opener, only two are members on this forum
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

crackers42

Only the private cabins and locals would know this but there is not a lot of boat traffic during the week especially after opener right into Mid June.

Weather and black flies play a big part in this.

Going up on the weekend for 10 days so will post a detailed report when I return.

RoK

.7% Trip Report Score----well, lets get it a little higher

we just got back home last Saturday. Had our best year of walleye ever, jigging with leeches, water temp was 54F, bugs were good for this time of year but probably getting worse by the day. We also had more fish in the slot than previous years. More in the slot and more closer to the larger end.

best combination of weather, bugs and catching in 18 years.

One thing we notice each year and go hmm, wonder why. We fish in the vicinity around Alwaki and Kipawa lodges and every year we notice a huge fluctuation in the current throughout the day. When jigging it is noticeable, it can go from fairly heavy to light to almost nothing and then heavy again throughout the day. Is there a dam upstream and would they adjust it multiple times a day? Something else?

worst thing is ....354 days to go...

P.S. anyone heading up via Hwy 400 north of Toronto on a Friday afternoon may want to add a little time to their trip, there is construction with reduced speed limits. We left on a Sunday so no impact to us.
Cheers, Ron

JMB

The Reports sound great this year and I am really looking forward to our first trip.

A little side note: A buddy of mine hunts in Canada all the time and he swears by a bug repellent device called a Thermacell.  He said that with the Thermacell he did not get a single bite even during the heaviest bug hatches so long as he replaced the wafers before they ran out.
May your travels always take you to where the water meets the shore.

limacharley

Quote from: RoK on June 06, 2018, 09:21:15 AM

One thing we notice each year and go hmm, wonder why. We fish in the vicinity around Alwaki and Kipawa lodges and every year we notice a huge fluctuation in the current throughout the day. When jigging it is noticeable, it can go from fairly heavy to light to almost nothing and then heavy again throughout the day. Is there a dam upstream and would they adjust it multiple times a day? Something else?

You will notice current in the narrows more than anywhere especially Hunter's Narrows. I take note of the dam at the Ontario/Quebec border too. Sometimes they open it to let water rush down to Ottawa (to wash that Liberal stink??) and if that's open maybe perhaps the Laniel dam is open which would cause a rush of water all the way from Red Pine. I doubt very much they would open and close it several times a day. Too bad there's no rainbows in Kipawa cause that's where they'd be, in the narrows.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein