Landmarks and destinations

Started by Hodgey1, July 14, 2019, 11:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Our group is less than two weeks from Our trip to the Alwaki area of Kipawa. Having read many posts here over the last few years, I see a lot of you take at least one day, or part of the day to take a tour and explore. This is my 5th trip and I have not done really any exploring...... My bad. I find relaxing in between the best fishing times very enjoyable.

I am contemplating taking a day off this year and going on a boat-a-bout ;D My question to all of you is, if you were going to take a day to explore, where would you suggest I go? As a side note, I do enjoy swimming, so a sandy area to swim might be nice.

I have been up through the shoot and not sure the name of the area, but i went once up past whispering pines to the right across that lake and through a bit of a river type passing that took me to another larger body of water that had some sandy areas.
Walleye Rock!

Jay Thomas

I have read on this forum that many folks who took the time to visit Le Canal have been very happy they did. According to Google, Le Canal is between 12 and 13 miles north west of Alwaki (run the west side of Ile McKenzie and then go north east from Ile Clermont).

Jay

crackers42

Up through hunters lake then around through north river damm and back around up to hunters point then turn around and back through turtle camp

Other side of north river dam has some sand beaches for a swim

T-Bone

Quote from: crackers42 on July 14, 2019, 05:42:57 PM
Up through hunters lake then around through north river damm and back around up to hunters point then turn around and back through turtle camp

x2. Good little trip there. Watch the rocks at Grants Pass.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Rico

Quote from: T-Bone on July 14, 2019, 06:07:07 PM
Quote from: crackers42 on July 14, 2019, 05:42:57 PM

x2. Good little trip there. Watch the rocks at Grants Pass.
x3. I've done this trip several times. You will not be disappointed.

son of melvin

One vote here for a trip to the abandoned church at Hunter's Point.  Very cool spot.  Head to Whispering Pines but this time go to the left instead of right. 
Along the way as you head NW there are a few beaches on your right hand side.  They are all nice but one of them is particularly inviting, you'll know it when you see it  :D

Fort Wisers

Another vote for the old church, we did it a few years ago by canoe (starting at the bearn road bridge) and tent camped on the large beach @son of melvin is referring to. Time permitting, we’ll do this trip again. Here’s our trip report from that adventure:
http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php?topic=434.0

Canal bay is also great and the little island just south west of the opening to canal bay offers a great beach for swimming and excellent docking for your boat.
A little further east of canal bay, heading north of ile fox and going up the channel towards 3 seasons camps is an interesting boat trip as well, just watch for rocks and shallow spots, especially just as you enter the channel near ile fox.

T-Bone

The proposed trip by Crackers would include a stop at the church (Hunter's Point).

We did the Canal Bay trip last year and stopped at the island near the entrance for lunch. Nice spot...quite a few people there it seemed though. Has grills, port-a-jons (I think my buddy Zbas called them 'thundershacks'), nice swimming area, good docks.

Canal Bay is cool...should go see it on one of your trips this year.

Won't be long now. Leeches pre-ordered, pick-up time scheduled, all gear packed and ready. All we need to do now is get the food.

Hodgey1

That's a lot of great input! I will consult with my posse on their thoughts. The canal and church both sound like something I want to do.

Thanks everyone for chiming in!
Walleye Rock!

Ozzy30

If heading to the church watch turtle dam.  Might be calmer now but was pretty fast when I went through a few weeks ago.

Hodgey1

I need a map showing all these cool places :-\ Oh and the areas of outdrive concern :(

• North River Dam
  • Turtle Camp
  • Grant Pass
  • Lie Fox
  • Red Pine Chute
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Lot's of places on this map with 'outdrive' concern, but waaaaay too many to mark-up.

Hodgey1

Nearly Perfect T. Thanks.

Is there a way to make that Google map public and interactive, so that others could add sites and points of interest to it?
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

I created this as a possible way/Beta test for people to add points of interest and of concern. If you are google map savvy at all, this should be easy "I hope".

Here is a collaborative map I created on Google Maps, please follow link and add any points of interest or concern to the map. I will post at the "Sticky" Landmarks and destinations thread also.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i0q7_FP8SmDyGalN6TGk9qZ1u8gHmX-I&usp=sharing
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 17, 2019, 03:14:28 PM
I created this as a possible way/Beta test for people to add points of interest and of concern. If you are google map savvy at all, this should be easy "I hope".

Here is a collaborative map I created on Google Maps, please follow link and add any points of interest or concern to the map. I will post at the "Sticky" Landmarks and destinations thread also.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i0q7_FP8SmDyGalN6TGk9qZ1u8gHmX-I&usp=sharing

I've added some of the locations, all of you have mentioned to me and seems pretty simple to add locations.
Walleye Rock!